Monday, August 11, 2008

On Top of the World

Since last summer, my family has been planning on hiking Table Rock on 8-8-08, and on Friday we all accomplished our goal. Our company of hikers was as follows: my mom and dad, Rose, Preston, two of Preston's friends, Uncle James, Auntie Em, J.T., Max, Sean, and myself. Our little June bug spent the day with my Grandma JoAnn. We ranged in age from 9 years old to 52, and every last one of us made it to the top. Table Rock isn't an extremely hard hike, but it is long and there are parts that are a bit challenging. Teton Creek comes cascading down the mountain and you have to cross it about four times on the trail. I thought it was great fun walking across the logs and rocks in order to get across to safety.
Below is the group that I hiked with most of the day - we all wanted to go a little faster than our parents.
We reached the top at around noon, and we were all excited to be at the summit. The last bit of the hike, the actual "table", is the hardest part because you are up so high that there is very little oxygen and that makes going even 10 yards seem difficult. You just have to take it slow, and you will be alright.
Some of us ventured even further after we go to the top and went over to a spot called Inspiration Point. When you look over the edge it is a sheer drop off into the valley right at the foot of the Grand Tetons. It is a little scary, but a totally killer view - well worth the extra effort.
I'd like to tell you that I wasn't sore the next day because I am in such amazing shape, but that would be an outright lie. My legs definitely let me know that there are muscles that I should consider using more often. I'm happy and proud of all of us for making - we even got official Table Rock medals to prove to everyone that we did indeed come off conqueror

11 comments:

Lori Harris said...

Way to go guys. I knew that I would never make it to the top, so I didn't even attempt. My dad said that he had to crawl the next day because he was so sore. What a an accomplishment and memorable 8/8/08!! (I did have fun being with June. She is cutie.)

Kim said...

I love that hike...I think the last time I did it was the summer after high school. Time to go again! Can't imagine why you wouldn't want to take a 1 yr old up all those switchbacks and across that rock field!

Margaret said...

That's so fun. we hiked table rock last summer and it was a blast. Although after a summer of a desk job and not going running ever I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if I did it again this summer. Your pictures are so fun.

Mattsmom said...

Man...you didn't even mention that when you got off the mountain you and Sean played a softball double-header! NO wonder you were sore!
Congrats once again!

kate said...

So fun!! I'm a LITTLE sad I didn't get to go with you guys... my mom said the hike was awesome! And you look so cute, pearl!
Sounds like you guys need to plan to again on 9/9/09 and me and my large bum will try to be there :)

Kiss that june bug for me... and tell her to save a pea for me!
Love you guys!

Lori Harris said...

Caroline-
Where did you get June's pink crocs at???

Taryn said...

ohh how fun! Even better doing it with family!

bergesonbs said...

Hey Caroline. I heard about the amazing trip from Leslee. We are heading to Idaho Falls this weekend. My cousin is getting married on Saturday, and we are planning on staying for Sunday. Are you going to be around?

Shauna said...

It looks like such a fun and pretty hike!!

Emily said...

Oh just a little jealous you get to see aunt nae and aunt em more than I, not so much about the hike. I think My leg/entire body would tell me to use them more often. great job!

Robison's said...

I love to hike since I had kids I haven't done much of it. It sure looks like a pretty hike. I bet June loved the company of her grandma. Plus it saved you alot of packing.